Sunday, January 22, 2017

LAW 118: On the Making of New Art

Been awhile since i have posted anything about art making. This is not to say that i haven't been a busy little creator, believe me i have.

I've been steadily stitching away on my Firebird piece. I just finished the background flames. Mungo jokes that i will have this one finished before i turn 80, i should hope so! I had been toying with the idea of beading parts of the flames, now that it is time to start on them i am not so sure of the wisdom of that path. I guess i will think about for awhile.

A lot done, a long way to go



I promised myself that i would make a real effort to loosen up my approach to the art journaling; make an effort to do more spontaneous drawing, less collage, and more color work. I'm not sure the color work will happen, but i am drawing more. This is a good thing.

Day one, Magic of Words, words of four letters
My newest project will be a small hand made book, Magic of Words. I had lots of paint left over from my Cat Window book, i couldn't bear to toss it and knew it wouldn't store so i took several pieces of Canson multi media paper, torn to 6 x 9" and splattered and blotted it on both sides. Of course i sat on the paper for over a month, partly because it was just so cool i couldn't figure out how to approach mark making.
DAy 2, MoW, how many ways can you say sun?


On the 12th of this month i finally just started. Sometimes you just have to do it! With no clear path, other than a desire to use up desktop scrap and the knowledge that i would use words i folded one of the pieces into a 4.5 x 6"signature and started.

Day 3, MoW, one, feeling lonely.

I've been averaging three days per signature, taking advantage of the double spread in the center to work a little larger.

Day 4, MoW, Do you Measure Up?
As usual, and as should be expected the work takes on the emotional tone of the day; politics continues to creep in, desired or not.

Day 5, Magic of Words

Our Indiegogo campaign started yesterday and three cheers, we've already gotten contributions! Thank you all!  Click here if you would like to help support our newest adventure, the build of our second shanty boat, Tesla's Revenge. Cool art gifts are waiting for you

Day 6, MoW, The Space Between Us
Day six, which has no words harks back to a drawing style i started playing with as far back in time as high school. Eek! I don't even want to think about how far back in pre-history that is.


Day 7, MoW, Laugh

Day 8, Magic of Words


Again, words failed me, inspiration was missing somehow. But than these marvelous little faces started peering out at me. For me Chauvet cave drawings come to mind.

Day 9, Magic of Words

We took Friday off, treated ourselves to a movie, Disney's latest offering, Moana. I am quite sure you can see the influence in the marine theme.


Day 10, MoW, I Will Not...
Okay, i really was planning this before the Tweeter in Chief misspelled honored in a tweet last night. Thanks to Bart Simpson for inspiration.

More later,
Morgainne





No comments:

Post a Comment