Wednesday, February 7, 2018

LAW 143: The Last of Inner Visions

Yesterday i finished the last drawing of my Inner Visions series. It of course took longer then i anticipated, doesn't it always?
Inner Vision #16

Working with the colored pencil proved to be far more time consuming, and painful then i expected. Life!

I have seen three distinct stylistic changes develop in my drawings during this project. Don't get me wrong, change is good. I'm not grousing, merely making an observation.

I am however loving the simple black and white.


Inner Vision #17

I still have to create covers for this project and bind the drawings into book form; that will take some thought, so i guess i can't really call it done. I am however already working on another new project in my head. Maybe i should make myself finish up some of the other projects that are hanging around the studio; well, maybe one....

Inner Vision #18

I have to admit i have been enthralled by the whole process nature of these drawings. I have always enjoyed working with pen and ink. Some how that practice fell to the side, having a life, a career, a partner seemingly took precedence. So did many other things. But these long winter days aboard Tesla's Revenge have been the perfect incubator for my Inner Visions.





With #18 i started playing around with another technique to get the color on the paper. I was feeling constrained by the line first, color second approach i had started with. It felt a little to much like a coloring book. So i started by laying down random color, practically scribbling all over the page.



Inner Vision #19




Once i have the color laid down i start working into the drawing with ink; looking for shapes and lines to strengthen. sometimes it takes a fair amount of just looking to bring order out of the original chaos i created.














Inner Vision #20

Inner Vision #21


Next up? More pen and ink drawings, but with either ink or paint pre-worked on the paper. Just another way to divorce the color and image.

Maybe monsters, maybe portraits. We'll see.

More later
gail


No comments:

Post a Comment