Wednesday, February 1, 2017

LAW 120: Make Art, Stay Sane, Magic of Words project part 2

Just saying, with the insane, and i do mean insane political climate in this country, i find that my daily art journaling has taken a turn to the political. It is a way to purge the demons, keep the blood pressure within healthy levels, and generally keep myself balanced enough to keep reading and reacting to the news of the day.



Text has become more important to the work. I find myself reaching back into work that i was exploring while i was in graduate school.


The idea of repetitive mantras, the power of words to heal hopefully not to hurt. Makes me think of that old children's saw, Sticks and Stones.....


I also find that i much prefer the fluidity of line in the more abstract drawings. Those reach back even further in my artistic past. I was experimenting with this sort style and line as long ago as my high school art classes. Sigh, that was a while ago.


I guess it is rather obvious where the disbelief and anger at the new regime kicks in. As an 'old' hippy the erosion of our government of unity and generous spirit is deeply, deeply troubling. We are after all in this together, no one gets out alive, you can't take it with you, so what is this really all about?


Since these pieces are daily art journaling they do stylistically jump around. The original theme behind this grouping was; the use of text, i wanted to feel more comfortable with the inclusion of words in my art, and secondly, using up all the stuff on my desk top. I have a lot of stuff(impossible to throw anything away) from the New Years cards i made that i wanted to include in these pieces. Haven't been incredibly successful with that. Anger kicked in, most of the leftover paper scraps are simply to pretty to fit into the angry, scared mindset i am currently experiencing.


We are spiritual beings, from the beginning of time we have been making art and making ritual to heal ourselves, the planet to ask for favors of the gods. As we do that we make connections with colors and numbers and words. It is interesting to see historically all the similarities in the myriad belief systems.


I have always loved blind contour drawing; the fluidity and structure at the same time make for a very compelling dissonance in my mind.


But let me tell you just how difficult it is to blind contour draw circular objects. Eek! must practice more. Te great thing about being my own boss, i do indeed have the time to do exactly that.


The Muslim travel ban has been much on my mind, outrageous, and has been the thrust of my newest journal pieces.  With this piece i am at the halfway mark of this project. I would like to think that a spirit of generosity will bloom as the earth turns into spring. I'm not holding my breath.


More later,
Morgainne

As always a plea that you check out the Tesla's Revenge Indiegogo campaign.












No comments:

Post a Comment